Monday, August 3, 2015

Garden Ups and Downs

Believe it or not, we are still alive!  Life has been busy and hectic and full.

In the garden:

We were hanging on anticipation as our tomato plant blossomed, then grew small, green tomatoes. There was one the size of a plum - a heroic proportion for our garden!  I checked on it every day, watching for signs of the first red tinge of color.  I went out last evening to visit it, only to discover it was gone.  The deer have eaten each and every pepper and tomato plant. We will have to fence in a portion of the garden next year - there's no getting around it.  I can't tell you how disappointed I was, but I am sure you know the feeling.

We grew about 6 pickling cucumbers. We sliced them and put them in brine in the refrigerator.  They were tasty.

I've harvested two squash.  Most of the squash and pumpkin plants died. We had an infestation of squash bugs which got the best of the plants.  There are two plants remaining which are full of blossoms and hope.

The kale, chard, and lettuces did well. Our first crop is tilled under and a fall crop is planted. Greens thrive in our yard and the deer don't bother them at all. *small blessings*

The potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and onions are all still growing. I'll let the potatoes and onions go until the tops start dying off a bit.  The carrots and parsnips will remain until the first frost.

Our herbs did well this year and our blackberry bushes produced large, juicy berries for the first time.

I know the growing season isn't over, but for me it feels like the garden and I are in a strained relationship. It's not performing the way I expected. I think we need some space. I'll be perusing farm stands in search of produce I had hoped to grow myself. I guess I'm in search of a surrogate garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment