Friday, January 30, 2015

Laundry Fairies and House Elves

When I worked closer to home, my husband worked full time and long hours.  I would pick our son up from school, drive home, do the laundry, load the dishwasher, etc. My husband never saw the laundry process happen, he just always had clean clothes.  He would always say, "the laundry fairy came today".

Since my office relocated and I have an 1.25 hr commute (one way), my husband only works two days a week and home schools our son.  The tables have turned. Now I come home and the bed is made, the laundry washed, dried, and piled on our bed (sometimes folded and put away), and general household chores are complete.  Now I get to say, "the house elves were active today" or if the house is a mess "the house elves must be on strike".

This is our 3rd year of home schooling. The third year of my husband being a stay at home dad. Sometimes changes like this can tear a family apart or add a lot of tension. For us, it was the best decision we ever made. We are closer than ever.

PS: I'm no longer a laundry fairy and I'm okay with that.

13 comments:

  1. How wonderful that all is working out for the both of you. I have a long commute back and forth to work, it takes up so much time!
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I listen to a lot of podcasts to kill the time!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great balance friend! I really love it when the "roles" of the fairies and elves naturally take shape and everyone puts in their share. So glad you all have a rocking unit!! Happy weekend! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you put it, "a rocking unit". I do believe we are!

      Delete
  3. That's awesome, Kate! I'm glad everything is working out good for ya'll! That is a long commute! Maybe one day you'll be closer to home! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could technically do my job from home and I do work from home on Wednesdays and if there is inclement weather, so that helps.

      Delete
  4. wow what a shake up in your house!
    the farthest i've ever had to commute was 45 min one way, that became a real grind quick. cannot even imagine double that.
    laundry fairy! toilet cleaning fairy! dusting fairy! it's all so magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting a little magic into the mix never hurt nobody! :)

      Delete
  5. I would love a housework fairy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does come in handy after a long day at work. Plus, my husband is super thoughtful and just lovely.

      Delete
  6. Hi Kate! Thanks for visiting Sweet Life Farm! I'm glad you stuck with your blog. It does give one an outlet that really can't be found anywhere else. It sounds as if you have a very nice life. My son was a stay at home dad for five years, and still is part-time.

    Have a great day!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kate
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Your past situation being a laundry fairy strikes home - I'm not sure my husband even knows how to use the washing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for swinging by my blog! My husband is the recycling fairy. I throw out the recycling out the garage door and he swoops down and picks it up. This isn't going over very well! I would love to homeschool my daughter, but she's such a social butterfly and talks about going to school constantly, I hope she's not disappointed!

    ReplyDelete