Friday, January 31, 2014

Old Treasures of Wisdom

I recently read This book.  The kindle version also includes in the back of the book some housekeeping ideas such as this one: 

Dish Washing Made a Pleasure:

"First of all, remove all refuse from the dishes. Place them near the sink, large plates at the bottom, then the smaller ones, then saucers. Have a large pan full of very hot water. Make a good soap suds by using a soap shaker. Wash the tumblers and all glassware first, and wipe at once. Use a handle dish cloth (which can be bought for five cents), for these, as the water will be too hot for the hands. Wash the silver next. Have a large pan, in which to place the clean dishes, cups and bowls first. When all are washed pour over them boiling or very hot water, and wipe quickly. Pans and kettles come last. Always have a cake of sand soap or a can of cleaning powder, for scouring the pie plates and bottoms of kettles. It is very little work to keep baking tins and kitchen utensils in good condition, if washed perfectly clean each time they are used. Wash the dish towels, at least once every day, and never use them for anything else. With clean hot water, clean towels, and plenty of soap dish washing is made easy. If you live in New England, your sink will be in front of a window. Be sure and plant just outside of this window nasturtiums, a bed of pansies, morning glories and for fall flowers, salvia. These bright blossoms will add to your pleasure while washing dishes."

I find it quite humorous that only houses in New England have sinks in front of windows.


There are three entire paragraphs describing the proper way to sweep a room.  It is intense and involves putting sheets over everything then laying strips of wet newspaper over that to catch any dust.  Thoroughly sweeping the floor is always followed by washing the windows as dust gets on those from sweeping.  Luckily it states this only needs done every 2-3 weeks.(!)


I guess if you needed to fill your day with something in an attempt not to be bored or idle, I could see how this would be necessary.  So, if you are twiddling your thumbs with nothing to do, I invite you to properly sweep a floor or do the dishes.  It is sure to kill a few hours in the day.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I am always intrigued by methods of the past...in some ways I think they were completely spot on. Thank you for sharing this friend...I want to find a copy to read! Lovely weekend to you! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lucky if my floors get swept once a week! I guess if I were a housekeeper as a living, I would invest a bit more time to my profession.

    ReplyDelete