Friday, September 20, 2013

The Monochromatic Garden

We have quite a few volunteer squash plants growing from our compost pile. It always seems like the volunteers grow better than the seeds that are planted with intent.  I'm not complaining though.  I will take anything I can grow that is also edible.




 This is the only squash plant I actually planted, that grew.  The vine goes under the trampoline, wraps around in a large circle and comes back towards itself.  We like to run and hop over it.
 Even our tomatoes are green.  They never turned red.  And to top it off, apparently squirrels like tomatoes.  They steal them off the plants all the time.  We have yet to eat a single tomato.  I might just pick them green or grow them for the squirrels.

Maybe next year we will have things figured out a little better.  This is our 2nd year of vegetable gardening. We learn something new each season.  We are still trying to figure out what we can grow in our shady yard. Our carrots only got to baby finger size, our beets were the size of bouncy balls.  (Thank God we don't have to depend on what we grow.  We would starve for sure.)

We were successful in growing lettuce, potatoes & squash. Herbs grow abundant in our yard, so we are thankful for that.  I'm glad we have a CSA and parent's that are happy to share from their gardens.








4 comments:

  1. Isn't that so true about the volunteer plants!!! They weren't even intended and they just do their thing!!! My squirrels like EVERYTHING in my yard! They are wild buggers!!! Congrats on your successes! It is such a learning experience indeed! Happy Saturday to you friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I never thought squirrels would eat tomatoes. We used to have a dog that loved them and would eat them off the plant!

      Delete
  2. Well, even if a lot of it was unintended, your garden sure looks pretty! The green and white squash is a real beauty! I'm the same with my veg patch, learning slowly each year...I find that courgettes/zucchini grow anywhere and thrive on neglect...! And my herbs are my pride and joy. Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you regarding the herbs! We definitely are grateful to have them.

      Delete