Friday, November 15, 2013

The Medicine Cabinet


Through the years, I've gradually taken inventory of things we use and have tried to replace these items with ones that align with my personal views and convictions.  There are still things in our life that need replacing, but with me, I find we are more likely to stick with it, if I do things gradually, rather than a complete overhaul. Plus, it takes time to experiment to find what works best for you and your family.  There is no right or wrong,; no special formula.  It's simply what works best for you.

Currently, what works for us:

I keep all of our essential oils here.  I use these for a variety of things including topical skin treatment (tea tree oil), relaxation and relief of tension head aches (lavender), as well as in our cleaning products.

Deodorant - if you recall, I made this recipe back in March.  I believe this will last me through March 2014. I am currently the only person that uses it.  My son is too young and my husband doesn't think it's strong enough for his manliness.  It works fine for me though and I will continue to use it.

Tooth Powder - this is simply a mixture of baking soda and a few drops of peppermint essential oil. Sometimes I put peroxide on my brush first which helps to whiten teeth.  I don't use this everyday, but a few times a week.  It is quite bitter and I have to keep my tongue pressed to the roof of my mouth while brushing.  My son tried it, which was quite comical.  We made this when we were discussing bases and acids in science class. (There are recipes online that also use coconut oil - I may try that next).

The Kids' Kit is a homeopathic medicine kit.  It comes with a booklet of different ailments so you can determine what to give them.  The medicine comes in small tablets that melt so they are good for all ages. Some things seemed to help while others didn't.  After further research,  I think Naturopathic  may be more beneficial.

We use Dr Bronner's for showering,  Kiss-My-Face shaving cream, and our son uses Jason kid's shampoo.
It is strange that there are so many weird chemical concoctions to rub over our bodies.  We aren't perfect by any means, but I think this is a step in the right direction.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on what products work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment