Monday, May 27, 2013

Foraged Food


On our hike we were hunting for edibles and found a few items to add to the menu.  This is what we made:

Floral Syrup: 1/2 c sugar, 1/2 c water 1 cup flower petals.  Boil sugar and water until dissolved.  Add petals and remove from heat.  Steep overnight.  Use to sweeten teas.
You can strain the flowers, but I didn't mind them floating in my tea.  They were pretty.

Nettle Pesto Pasta with Morels and Egg Plant.
We foraged some stinging nettles and made pesto - it was so good!  Next time we will bring gloves, it was tricky business and our hands did not escape the sting.  We only found a few morels, I think 6 in all, but enough to saute and put on top our pasta.

Sassafras Syrup - for home made root beer.  Mix 1 part mixture to 2 parts club soda - add ice.  Drink and Smile!

2 comments:

  1. Everything looks so delicious and fresh! Your pesto blew me away just looking at it!!! We are big pesto eaters but have had to alter our recipe as we have learned our son has a nut allergy. We currently use chickpeas instead of pine nuts. I so like the idea of eggplant...Yum! I'm sure it gives it that hardy rich flavor...I will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I love chickpeas. That sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete